January 1st, 2021, is just around the corner, and if you are like me, you are looking forward to a better year! With the start of a new year, many embrace the practice of setting a New Year’s resolution.
I have never been a fan of this. As a Personal Trainer, I have seen far too many people go way too big with their goals, only to fall short by the end of February.
Instead, I like to encourage myself and others to embrace a daily practice of trying to be better throughout the year.
Every day is an opportunity to choose healthier, more enriching, and more satisfying options for our well being. It’s really not that difficult;
- set a goal each day to choose more nutritious food
- be more physically active, and
- avoid nasty habits such as smoking and fast foods.
You will be amazed at how quickly you feel better!
A better you can mean many different things, from relationships to nutrition to career. Let’s focus here on achieving a better you through activity.
It’s true that hitting the gym or a group spin class is not for everyone. Any type of group fitness will continue to be a challenge for the foreseeable future.
However, there are many other methods of achieving a better you through an active lifestyle.
As you take your first steps toward better health, be kind to yourself, be realistic about your choices, and allow yourself the room to make missteps and grow.
Personal Goals to Set in 2021
1. Love yourself unconditionally, including any perceived body imperfections that you may have.
A healthy body can present itself in many different shapes and sizes.
- Avoid comparing yourself to others; they are on their own wellness journey.
- Embrace what your body can do, rather than what it cannot, and get set to get active today!
- Consider starting an effective, at-home resistance training workout using affordable, quality loop bands. Your Physix Gear Sport purchase comes with a free training guide, so it’s easy to get started right away.
2. Choose wisely.
- Find an activity that you love, both for what it does for your body and for what it does for your mind.
Many activities can have you interacting and socializing with others if that is within your goals. Others will give you that blissful solitude that you both need and crave.
The key is to find an activity that you can stick with for the long haul.
- Choose a few different ways to get active, such as a walking group, online fitness class, or take a swim.
If your choice doesn’t spark a fire in you, just keep trying different activities until you find your perfect fit.
3. Set a long term goal.
For many of us, the motivation to get active can be a real challenge.
- By setting a long term goal, say by signing up for a triathlon or completing a popular hiking or cycling route, you can keep yourself honest about your daily workouts.
- Consider your long term goal as the carrot at the end of the stick!
- Break up your long term goal by setting mini, short term goals along the way.
By reaching these smaller goals, you can reward yourself for your achievements and stay motivated.
4. Don’t get discouraged by missed training days or by injuries.
- Look after yourself, get professional advice and treatment, and stay the course.
- Any injuries or pain should first be addressed by your health care team.
- Consider taking care of yourself using Physix Gear Sport’s wide range of recovery and relief gear. From orthotic insoles, kinesiology tape, compression socks, knee braces and sleeves, spiky massage balls, and massage rollers, we have your body’s wellness covered with our high quality, affordable line of wellness products!
- Treat yourself to short term and long term goal celebrations.
- Choose a way to treat yourself that recognizes your wellness achievements and that motivates you to keep going.