Many of us have been working out solo for the past year and a bit, and many have created a home space for working out. I have had a home gym for many years now, and I love the convenience and cost savings. While I have various pieces of cardio equipment, free weights, resistance bands, and other fitness equipment, I always love incorporating bodyweight exercises into my routine.
Bodyweight exercises are not new; think military-style calisthenics and similar training programs.
- Using your own body weight as your resistance against gravity offers many benefits.
- First, and the most obvious, is convenience.
- Bodyweight exercises are the most convenient way to exercise as they can be done anywhere and anytime.
- Done right, bodyweight exercises can be ultra-efficient; challenge multiple muscle groups in one exercise.
One of the other reasons I love incorporating bodyweight exercises into my workout is the speed with which one can move between exercises and movements. There isn’t a need to find a safe place to put equipment down or search for the right piece of equipment.
Also, there isn’t a need to move from one area of your home gym to another.
- With bodyweight exercises, you can move from one activity to the next in seconds.
- These exercises are ideally suited to HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) workouts or a mixed cardio workout.
- Maintain a regular routine; you can do bodyweight exercises on most days!
Another appealing aspect of bodyweight exercises is that they can be modified for any fitness level; using your body weight is suitable for beginning exercises right through to seasoned athletes.
- The wide variety of activities that can be done can include zero to low impact movements, right through to plyometrics.
- Plyometrics are explosive, powerful movement patterns, often with impact but always with significant fitness gains.
Customize your home workout by including a few bodyweight exercises today!
Adjusting the number of repetitions or how long you hold a pose can change the intensity and difficulty of a bodyweight exercise! Begin with adding one or two bodyweight exercises into your routine; adding variety is a great way to overcome exercise plateaus and increase your engagement.